Saturday, November 1, 2008

~Happy Halloween~

Does Halloween loose some sparkle once you grow older? Not grown-up, just grown-older. There aren't very many Halloween fans around here where we live. It is a mix of people our age taking their kids trick-or-treating or people our age going to parties that we would NEVER go to. Our idea of a good Halloween party does not include drinking, more drinking, and bad music that is way too loud and has more swear words than a drunken sailor. Its hard to find a spooky good time when you're an inbetweener, no kids but too old to attend stupid frat-like parties.

I had a quarter-life crisis (is that what you call it?) and so my "BFF" and I decided to go trick or treating. This was a plan from a few weeks ago and I think we were just waiting for the other to change the plans, but we secretly both wanted to hold onto that little piece of childhood fun. Yes, we were THOSE people who go trick or treating and are way to old to be doing so. It wasn't about the free candy (unless you ask Quinn, she'll tell you it was ALL about the candy) but just having a good innocent time. We wore appropriate (ie not slutty) costumes- real costumes I had in my costume trunk, none of that adults-trying-to-be-cheap stuff. No one asked us our ages (24 and 30), questioned us in any way, and to my total surprise and shock everyone smiled and gave us candy like we were in fact an appropriate age. And maybe they did think we were younger, not to brag but we both look and sound a lot younger than we are (this is why you wear sunscreen kids), and in the right costume/makeup I'd like to think maybe we did fool a few people.

Vince drove us around and put up with us being crazier than normal. Who knew being one of THOSE people could be so fun? I remember when I was little some college kids came trick-or-treating to our door with no costume but a bra on their heads telling us they were "boobs". Mom gave them our rejected-candy pile (wouldn't you?). This is what I was expecting all night, thank you Coloradians for playing along!

HIGHLIGHT of the night~ going to my in-laws house to trick-or-treat in masks. My friend and I went to the door and said trick-or-treat and were REALLY rude. "None of that cheap stuff, please" when my mother in law was getting the bowl. Then she held the bowl out for us to take some- BIG MISTAKE! We took the biggest handful we could manage each, and then took ANOTHER big handful- the look on her face was priceless! She pulled the bowl away from us and said "okay, thats enough happy Halloween" trying to be the nice polite lady she is. We then walked to the side of her house, switched masks, and rang the doorbell again- this time with Vince in a costume as well. (switch masks, add a person- they will never catch on, right?) Needless to say she looked horrified to see us again and this time handed us each a piece of candy instead of letting us do it ourselves. I asked "Can I have some more candy?" and at this point I'm sure she wanted to take ALL my candy away or slam the door in my face. Vince pulled off his mask and asked "How about ME, can I have some more candy?" Then we all pulled off our masks. I don't know if her smile and laugh was out of joy for seeing her kids, or relief that it was a joke and no strange kids were being that snotty to her. I'm so thankful my mother in law is such a sweet woman to put up with our silliness- while my Mom is as bad as I am and if I pulled a snotty trick like that on her I could expect something twice as bad back somehow I'm sure (where do you think I learned it?).

Now that Halloween is officially over our house is now filled with Christmas music. Yes, we are THOSE kinds of people to!

No comments: