Sunday, October 10, 2010

We Are The Champions....!

This photo pretty much says it all. We AWESOME!

On Saturday Benjamin, Vince, James, and I went to our (second home and) favorite local game store/hang out to play in their first annual game show. When we had to originally chose a team name we maybe should have said "Team Berryman". But no. When asked Vince, Ben, and I all said "team...AWESOME" automatically and frighteningly in sync. Perhaps we spend too much time together..? Maybe great minds DO think alike... except Ben was there, so out the window goes THAT theory. Haha.

Knowing that the best way to beat out any competition is to intimidate them off the bat, I decided we needed matching game-day outfits. We found some cheap shirts at Walmart that said "I'm sorry... I can't hear you over the sound of how AWESOME I am". Perfect-o! Also it just so happened that the shirts were bright yellow- which everyone knows in nature is the WATCH OUT color (like a school crossing sign) ... and WATCH OUT other teams cause we're gonna wipe the floor with you.

The board was set up in an almost jeapordy like fashion where you select catergories of play. First up was Taboo- the one game our team has the least amount of experience with. We selected Ben to be our clue-giver because none of us really wanted the pressure of doing it right off the bat. The blue team flew through there cards at an incredible speed, and they didn't loose steam for most of the whole game show! The pink team was also doing really well after a stumble on their first card. Then it was our turn... Ben looked at the first card got a confused look on his face and said "...wow". To which I replied "World of Warcraft" and therefor earned the highest badge in geek-scouts-of-america. After the first round we knew Blue was going to stomp the floor with us and Pink was was going to be one of those quiet but ends victorious teams.

Sadly, in the first round we were in last place. That blue team was serving out no mercy! But maybe, just maybe, it was our plan along to let them get a little comfortable and cocky before we slammed them in points. Um, yeah, that's our story and we're sticking to it. Suddenly- a challenge was announced. We weren't allowed to know what the challenge would be, only that one member of our team needed to be chosen and that teammate would be out for the next round. We sacraficed...I mean volunteered... James. We told him if he screwed up we were disowning him. Pressure was on! Once teammates from each team were chosen the challenge was revealed: they needed to complete a 3-D apple puzzle before the other team's chosen members did. Thank the BoardGame Gods that I wasn't chosen for this one- I can't even put together the simple puzzles in my preschool classroom sometimes. The game continued on without the three puzzle goers, and our team was still very much behind.

I made the mistake of over-bidding how far we could get on an OUTBURST card. The subject was "Nursery Rythme Characters"... how could someone whose life is dedicated to children aged 2-10 not be overly confident in this one? Our team pulled out 5/10 when I had predicted we would get all 10. I forgot "cat and the fiddle" and even "Mother Goose" herself. Does this mean they'll take my degree back from me?

_to be finished shortly vince needs me attention_

No comments: